Wednesday, July 20, 2011

About that time

James and I decided that because the baby won't be coming until Tuesday that we'll use Monday as a day to do things that we won't as easily be able to do with a baby, or that we won't get to do for a long time.

One of those things is to go to a movie together. Just the two of us.

Saturday, according to James, we'll be cleaning the house one more time. Isn't he great?! I didn't even have to say anything to encourage that wonderful suggestion. Hopefully we can finish getting our storage room organized and have our hospital bags packed and ready to go as well.

I definitely am nervous about 'having' the baby and I haven't even thought about being nervous about 'taking care of' the baby. Maybe that's because i'm going to have my mom here...for a week!

Call me a wuss if you want, but knowing that my mom will be here with me is the most comforting thing I can imagine right now! Of course, it will be nice to have James around too! He can be the entertainment!

I really can't do anything without my mom. I still call her when I have decisions to make at the grocery store. I even call her when I'm buying clothes or something for my house. We talk several times a day.

She is a great example of the kind of mother I want to be. All growing up, I could always expect 2 things when I got home from school: a clean house and a happy mom. My mom is not a moody person. She's always in a good mood. Well, almost always. If it's any other mood, it's usually a 'tired' mood. Nothing a quick nap can't fix.

(all of my mom's parents/siblings/spouses)
Even now that she works full time, is the high school cheer advisor, has callings at church, and takes care of everyone in her home she still keeps a clean house, and cooks. She'll tell you the house is not clean, but it is. If you've been there, you would agree! She just knows how to get so much done in a day. She has way more energy than I'll ever have! Maybe that's a secret she can teach me the week she's here.

(at a late night cheer practice)
My mom also never gets sick. Hardly EVER! She'll attribute that to the green tea she drinks every day, but even when I was younger she was hardly ever sick. Maybe once a year. She's always been healthy. She takes care of her body and eats healthily. I admire that so much. Even though we all tease her about the extreme parts of her idea of 'healthy'. I am grateful to her that I know how to feed my family healthy meals.

I have so much to learn from her. I'm glad that I have had 25 years to learn all that I have because only having her around 24/7 for a week won't be long enough. She is so great to be willing to come stay for a week, even though it's mostly so that she can be with her granddaughter 24/7 for the first week of her life. I wouldn't have it any other way. I will never be able to repay her for that week or for everything else she's done for me in my life. I really hope to be that kind of mom to my kids.

(helping Kayla with her hair for the musical)
So here's to a great week with my mom. It will be lots of work and lots of fun!

3 comments:

Sheb and Ali said...

I love the picture of all the Petersen siblings. Also your mom is such a great mom and her house is always clean. So excited for baby to be here!

Maclaine & Sara said...

Your mom IS a wonderful person! You will love having her there while you recover. :)

Meggie said...

Yay! I am so excited for you to be a mom! I can't wait to see all of your pictures of the tiny girl! You're gonna have so much fun!
Your mom is so great! It is so nice to have your mom around to show you what to do with a tiny baby. Good luck!