Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Comfort

This past Thursday, we received some very unexpected news. James' dad is getting deployed for 5 months and he leaves in less than 3 weeks. Gary told me over the phone, and I didn't know what to say. I was shocked. I couldn't quite wrap my head around it. Deployed? Was I understanding right? I knew before James did. He was in a phlebotomy class and unable to answer his phone. I worried how he'd feel about it.

At first he was really tough. But then reality kicked in. His dad wouldn't be here when the baby was born. She'll be a month old when he returns home. James is a lot more emotionally tough than I am. He was emotional for a sec, me for much longer. Five months is a long time to be away from your family.

He will be on the US Naval Ship Comfort, a floating hospital. He will be going to places in the Caribbean and Central America. It will be the experience of a lifetime for him. And even though we'll miss him a lot, we are so grateful that he will be able to help so many people.

We love you Gary.





No comments: