Thursday, September 29, 2011

2 Month check-up

Our day started off as usual: breakfast, bath, poopy diaper, straighten up, breakfast dishes

Then... my bff since Kindergarten, sherrie, and her two darling (and very well behaved) boys came for a visit. It was so great to see her! We never see each other! She's such a good mom. What a great example she is to me. I love her to pieces!

After we said our goodbyes, for what will probably be a year again (no, let's not let that happen!), I sat down with Brooklyn for a very serious talk. I told her how much I love her and how I waited for a very long time for to be my baby. And that I never want her to feel any pain, but that sometimes there are things that we have to do to protect ourselves from worse things. "Mommy's gonna take you to the doctor today and you're going to get shots. But it won't hurt for very long and I need you to be brave ok?"

My mom came down to help me, thank goodness.

(6 days old - 1st dr. appt)

(2 month check up)

Brooklyn weighed in at 10 lbs. 9 oz. and she measured 22 1/2 inches long. So she's in the 50th percentile for her age in both.

She was being so happy and friendly, just talkin and smilin away. Dr. Mary Poppins was impressed with how strong and alert she is. We like Mary Poppins. 

(look how intently Brooklyn is listening to Mary Poppins)

Then Brooklyn got a little ornery.

I comforted her the best I could, but my heart was breaking knowing what would happen in the next five minutes of her life. I wanted to break for the door and run away with her. No, I could do this. Lots of moms do this every day.

(she's always grabbing at my face)

The nurse came in, sweet girl, and got the band aids laid out and ready to go. She gave Brooklyn the oral medicine first, which she sucked down like a champ, and then came the shots.

I held her little face and kissed her mouth as the first shot went in. Brooklyn screamed. The other 2 shots were fast, the band aids were on, and I picked her up as fast as I could and held her close. She was heart broken, right along with Mommy and Grandma. I wanted to take the pain away. I wanted her to understand that I didn't give her the shots, but that they would keep her healthy and safe from horrible sicknesses.

My poor little baby.

I nursed her and we quietly left the doctor's office. With Brooklyn sound asleep in her car seat, Grandma and I self soothed with fruity lemonades and Mrs. Fields cookies.

She was a good baby for the most part after that. Daddy took care of her for awhile while I went to YW's and then I spent the rest of the evening with her. Tomorrow's a new day, and hopefully not a traumatic one.

*A great big thanks to my mom, Grandma Diane, for the pictures at the doctor's office, the strawberry lemonade, the white chocolate macadamia nut cookie, and the clothes she bought Brooklyn. Love you Mom.

Post a Comment